Persistent Workspace

Wolfgang Eder edw at generalmagic.at
Mon Mar 1 08:36:24 UTC 2004

Trygve Reenskaug wrote:
> I have added/modified two methods to make the Workspace text persistent.
> 'accept' writes the text to a Text file, default name is the name of the
> window. 'cancel' reads a corresponding file.
>
> Now a question before I publish this very small small goodie:
>    I have used '.ws' as file extension. Does that conflict with anything
> else?
>    If so, what should I use?
>
> Regards
> --Trygve
>
> P.S. I use persistent workspaces as notebooks/logs so that I remember
> how to recreate my working image from scratch.

Trygve,
in the last years, I have always used script classes instead of
workspaces, and I believe that has considerable advantages.
So instead of writing code into workspaces, I put them as methods
in a class (e.g. WolfgangsScripts). I use just one script class
with a lot of methods, but you can use more, or use method
categories.

I came to use this approach because I believe that these scripts
are a valuable part of the source code, which should be shared as
well.
Also, when I was using Envy for source code management, the scripts
always were in sync with the code, which is good.
And, I find browing the scripts code more convenient than using
the plain text editor. (e.g. browse senders will search your scripts,
too)

Greetings,
Wolfgang