Different review process for KCP changes?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Mar 2 16:36:33 UTC 2004

Ken Causey wrote:

>Göran has been doing some excellent detective work related to my
>reported issue with code corrections in the workspace.  He has tracked
>it down to a change made in update 5700 (KCP136MoveChangesLog).  The
>change does not seem to be related to the purpose of the changeset.
>This is bad enough but what really bothers me is that there doesn't seem
>to have been any opportunity to review this change.  I've searched and
>searched and searched and it doesn't appear that this changeset ever
>appeared on the lists.  A variant number 116 did and was closed.
>
>What happened?  Is there some other route that KCP changes go through?

What happened can be mostly traced back to this message:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-February/073463.html

Basically, a bunch of inter-related KCP changesets were approved as a
group in one email thread ([KCP][ENH] KCP-0160-SystemChangeNotif).  This
was easier in some ways than posting them all separately and approving
them all separately, since they really needed to be evaluated as a group.

I agree that that makes it harder to track down where that particular
changeset came from, though.

Actually, what I should have done while incorporating these is associate
each of these changesets with the BFAV thread they came from
(KCP-0160-...), so that there would have been a series of update
messages like this:

[KCP][ENH] KCP-0160-SystemChangeNotif ([update - 5698])
[KCP][ENH] KCP-0160-SystemChangeNotif ([update - 5699])
[KCP][ENH] KCP-0160-SystemChangeNotif ([update - 5700])
etc.

So then you would have seen the appropriate history in the BFAV.  I'll
try to do this in the future if there are any multiple-changeset
approved posts.

- Doug