Back to the issue... (was RE: Squeak coding style...)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 2 23:40:42 UTC 2004

> Another thing is that I think pretty printing is *hard*: For example
> code with blocks tend to be hard to format according to rules so that it
> always "looks good". I have given up on trying to figure out what my own
> personal rules are - I seem to always adapt my style to the code at
> hand.

Interesting point, since I do the same - for example, if I'm in a method
using underscore as assignment I use underscore, if I see colon-equals I use
colon-equals. Etc.

> I just want us to think if we can agree on *a few simple rules*.

Agreeing???? On Squeak-dev????? About style???? ;-)

> For example - is it really too much to ask that comments which are meant
> to be full sentences are formatted accordingly to proper english? (first
> word with capital letter, ending with a period)
>
> Or is it really too much to ask that all classes have a class comment?
> Even if it is only one or two lines? Missing class comments is IMHO
> totally unacceptable *in the standard packages*.
>
> So please people, could we get back to this issue? Do you agree with me
> that a few simple rules could actually be a good thing to have regarding
> the code in the "standard" Squeak packages?

I think it is possible to agree on a (very) limited set of rules but whether
those are actually enforcable is a different matter. I'm no believer in
rejecting stuff based purely on a formal basis as most of the people are in
for the fun of it and if people are it's hard to force them to adapt any
particular style. It is much more helpful to educate people gently along the
right lines.

For example, I believe that the embarrassment of having a big red "THIS
CLASS HAS NO COMMENT" sprayed right over your face will have quite an impact
on the quality of class comments long-term. This is a wonderful addition
both in terms of usability as well as in terms of educating people *why*
they should write class comments.

Cheers,
  - Andreas