3.7beta planned for this Friday, March 5

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Mar 2 23:52:28 UTC 2004

Just a reminder that we are shooting for moving 3.7 from alpha to beta
this Friday, March 5th.

So, if you have any enhancements that you'd really like to get in 3.7,
submit them now!  Or if they've already been submitted, try to encourage
others to review them, or bring them up here.

Looking at our to-do list for 3.7... http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3491

Remaining to-do:

- Michael Rueger is working on getting the Squeakland/Etoys changes
merged for 3.7.  Hopefully this will be ready by Friday or thereabouts.
- SmallLand: Babel and the new look are already in... not sure what's
left if anything.  Diego?  Any remaining items should be submitted as
[ENH]s.
- I will changeset-ize the BitstreamVeraFonts sometime this week and
submit them as an [ENH].
- RegExp package... Yoshiki asked if this could wait until after his
i18n work in early 3.8alpha, so that would make me lean towards
postponing until then.
- ANSI.  Ken Causey submitted the remaining non-Chronology changes on
Feb. 20... anyone interested in this should look at/review his submission.
- Adam's package cleanup... SoundSystem is done, maybe a few more could
get in before beta.

Can be done during beta:

- Full package cleanup, can do this during beta.  One item that was
mentioned awhile ago was adding the Guides as co-maintainers on all of
the Squeak-Official Full/Basic packages.  This sounds like a good idea
to me.  Actually, it might make sense to have a shared SM2 account for
the Guides, so that as Guides rotate in and out we don't have to keep
updating the packages.  Also it would clutter up the co-maintainers list
less.  We should really try to add other co-maintainers on some of these
packages anyway, e.g. add Lex Spoon as a co-maintainer for Celeste, etc.
- Accufonts -- need to look at/incorporate John McIntosh's fixes to the
Accuny font, this can be done during beta too since they are "fixes" and
shouldn't destabilize anything.

That's all I can think of for now...

- Doug