Persistent Workspace

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Wed Mar 3 09:16:44 UTC 2004

Hmm.. Could I replace my cherished workspace with script classes?

I want to be able to reproduce my images from scratch. So I need a reminder
of how to do it. A script class can contain executable code and comments.
But the class has to be filed out and in separately since I need it before
starting building my image proper. My images are always saved with the log
workspace open. A simple 'cancel' updates it to the latest accepted version.

I never could make Projects work because I tend to do many things at the
same time. When working in VW, I never used 'save as new version', but
created a new version by intelligently following the instructions in the
workspace log.  I relied heavily on our strong ChangeList to create new
fileIns from the changes file. It was much expanded with copying and
sorting facilities and many new filters. May be the persistent workspace
needs an expanded ChangeList to be really useful.

Note that I use the log workspace to organize my own work.
Publishing/sharing is quite another matter and the Squeak facilities are
much better than anything I have seen before.

Here is an abbreviated version of my first Squeak log workspace to give a
taste of what I am talking about:

    Installation of tree06
    Start from Squeak 3.6-5429-full
    Filein persistent workspace:
         D:\Mine dokumenter\book-11-is21c\Squeak-05\fileouts\RM-workspace.cs
    Install new version of SqueakMap
      1)  open Package Loader - new version installed and opened automatically
      2)  Install RefactoringBrowser and related tools v. 1.03
      3)  Connectors v. 1.9
      4)  Monticello v. 131
    *******************************
    *******************************
    Filein RMSRE-05
         D:\Mine dokumenter\book-11-is21c\Squeak-05\fileouts\RM-SRE-05.1.cs
    ChangeStamp
         D:\Mine dokumenter\book-11-is21c\Squeak-05\fileouts\ch7.st
    RefactoringBrowser extension (copy-down the methods of a class)
      D:\Mine dokumenter\book-11-is21c\Squeak-05\fileouts\ch12.st
    Trace and other goodies (incl. the above)
      D:\Mine dokumenter\book-11-is21c\Squeak-05\fileouts\RM-goodies-05.cs
    *******************************
    *******************************
    Manually edit Browser in flap to open RefactoringBrowser.
    Do not file in RM-changes to class Workspace since I now have my own
subclass.
etc., etc.,

cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway