Monticello taking a long time to merge

Ben Schroeder bschroeder at procro.com
Wed Mar 3 14:56:34 UTC 2004

Hi Julian,

> Is it slow waiting for the merge browser to come up, or
> actually doing
> the merge?

It's slow waiting for the merge browser (or changes browser) to come up.
After further exploration here and by Avi, it looked like there were
many paths - several million - for MC to look through when trying to collect
a sorted list of all ancestors for our package.  He sent us a patch that
didn't go down paths that had already been traversed, which sped things up
quite a bit.

(We discovered late in the day that there's still some slowness even
with the patch - not with browsing changes but with merging - but
it's more reasonable, and I think just another case of the same kind
of thing.  When we get a chance, we'll put together a test case that
reproduces it - it's not so far been as heavy a slowness as yesterday's
thing.)

Thanks,
Ben Schroeder