[BUG][FIX] TestRunner UI interaction

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Mar 3 16:10:01 UTC 2004

This one troubles me. It's not a fix, so much as a removal of the
feature that exposes the bug.

And it's an important feature. I work on several packages with
extensive test suites, and I really like the fact that the enhanced
test runner doesn't tie up the UI while the tests are running,
something which can take several minutes, and which I do very
frequently. This change would slow my development pace to a crawl.

It's also an overstatement to say that running the tests in the
background is "problematic if any of the tests involve anything Morphic
related." I run Morphic-related tests in the background all the time
with no problems.

That's not to say that there *is* no problem, only that we should track
it down and fix it, rather than remove an important feature. Would it
be feasible to alter either the problematic tests or Morphic its self
to work properly in the background? Would it be useful to set up a
sandbox - some sort of  invisible world with it's own  UI thread - for
Morphic-related tests?

I seem to recall that one of the enhancements made to JUnit after it
diverged from SUnit was the ability to add a "run in the background"
decoration to test cases. Perhaps we could do something similar with
SUnit.

Colin