Back to the issue... (was RE: Squeak coding style...)

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Wed Mar 3 17:33:08 UTC 2004

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Sometimes I really do understand why some people think Squeak is a mess,
> especially if we can't even acknowledge the fact that we need to shapen
> things up a bit.

I don't think it's anything like that.  Some people want rules - they
just want *their* rules.  I happen to think general coding standards are
a good thing, I just happen to disagree with half of your suggestions.
And I don't want to get involved in the discussion because I know that
*other people* will disagree with a different half.

Most of those who don't want rules probably just realize the
improbability of coming to any agreement.

The only good way, in my opinion, to get coding standards in an open
source community is to have the few people who start the project agree
on them at that time and enforce it with the rest of the code going in.
  Currently there are *way* too many people invested in the project to
possibly come up with agreement.

Now, can we get back to those arrow assignment glyphs and licenses that
Ned and Cees were talking about...  :D

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)