[Monticello][SmaCC] Dependency problem?

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Wed Mar 3 18:04:15 UTC 2004

Am Dienstag, 02.03.04 um 19:43 Uhr schrieb Avi Bryant:

> On Feb 29, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Hernan Tylim wrote:
>
>> 	The Monticello and the Refactory package installed OK. But the
>> SmaCC got interrupted with a "Could not find version:
>> 'Refactory-dvf.21'" error.
>>
>> 	Investigating a little I found that the version of the
>> Refactoring Browser that got installed was the Refactory-dvf.22.
>
> This is related to the conversation I had earlier with Andreas about
> loosening up the dependencies.  The proposal I made there would cover
> this case fine, I just need to find time to implement it.
>
> In the meantime, let me emphasize that the dependency mechanism in
> Monticello is (at least for now) *only* intended to be used between
> packages that are all controlled from a single source.  Having SmaCC
> depend (explicitly, in MC) on Refactory is bad because those two
> packages are not maintained by the same people and are not released in
> sync.  That would be more appropriately handled by an SM dependency
> (once such a thing exists).

Ok. Got  that wrong. I just also wanted to state by that, that SmaCC
(still) depends on the RB. Which version? The best one... ;-)
If it had been there already at that time, I surely would have used the
"optimistic approach: use latest version always".

I fixed it and removed that dependency.

Cheers,

Markus