[CS] workspace bindings viewer

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Fri Mar 5 18:27:48 UTC 2004

> -----Original Message-----
> From: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> Behalf Of Lex Spoon
> Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 11:30 AM
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> Subject: [CS] workspace bindings viewer
>
> [snip]
>(See, my laziness is a feature
> -- it's reuse!)

Awesome.  Uh, my laziness is reuse, too! :)

> I'm sure better UI's and functionalities are possible, but
> this kind of thing seems like a good idea.  Workspace
> variables are a very useful tool that many people seem to
> overlook, and so adding a UI will hopefully help.  Also, it
> seems silly that I occasionally end up inspecting my
> workspace in order to hack its bindings; this should be in the UI.

Yes!  It would be very cool to have the flow from "doit in a Workspace"
to "fairly involved script in a Workspace" to "OK I really should create
a class now" helped along by a slick set of UI tools.  I.e., somehow
make a Workspace transform into a class, and browse it :)  Your
workspace-bindings viewer seems like a good start.

> Two other ideas have been floating around that I think are
> very interesting.
>
> First, maybe workspaces can be tied to a class somehow, so
> that workspace variables become instance variables?  Or,
> maybe browsers can end up being workspaces, as has been
> proposed elsewhere.
>
> Second, drag and drop is under-utilized in Squeak's
> workspaces and inspectors.  Right now it's a pain to get
> something from an inspector over into a workspace to play
> with it -- you have to set it in a global variable and then
> retrieve it.  It would be great if drag and drop worked
> between inspectors and workspaces.  (And note that with my
> lazy ahem my reuse, if you make it work between inspectors,
> then you will get workspaces for free.)

Nifty!  Anybody up for this?

> Anyway, there are many possibilities in this area, and Squeak
> is well suited for hacking on development tools.  I look
> forward to what people come up with!
>

> -Lex

Cool thoughts, Lex.  Thanks,
Brent