New look doesn't necessary means better look

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun Mar 7 05:33:16 UTC 2004

Yoshiki-

>   The world menu in Squeak3.7a-5764 looks, ..., too great to me.  The
> uneven linespacing, caused by the icons, is very unusual thing to see
> and hard to use indeed because the same amount of mouse movement
> results in different offsets of the menu items.

I agree. It's a bit too much for me. I am all for sprucing up Squeak so it
is more accessible to outsiders, but some of this ...

> # I can live with the gradient menu.

I kind of like this myself. Gives a nice texture.

>   Narrower scroll bars aren't very easy to use...

I agree. Unless on a PDA, which usually have lower DPI screens, making the
narrow bar actually physically wider. But on a 320x240 PDA is the only
place that I use narrow scrollbars in Squeak, otherwise they're harder to
use. And I'm the kind of person who likes smaller widgets- but on an OS
like Windows, scrollbars are on of the things I don't make smaller.

>   The good thing is that those have the preferences to control.  So
> the question is what preferences we would like to turn on/off in the
> vanilla 3.7 release image.  I'd like to say that to turn off the
> #menuWithIcons and #scrollBarsNarrow.  How do people think?

I agree. That'd be great!

Regards,
Aaron