New look doesn't necessary means better look

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Sun Mar 7 07:59:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

> >   The world menu in Squeak3.7a-5764 looks, ..., too great to me.  The
> > uneven linespacing, caused by the icons, is very unusual thing to see
> > and hard to use indeed because the same amount of mouse movement
> > results in different offsets of the menu items.
>
> I agree. It's a bit too much for me.

The offsets didn't change.  The menu item includes the icon area in its
own area.

BTW, somebody can send an [ENH] (including a new preference) to align
all the items after the bigger icon in the menu.

> I am all for sprucing up Squeak so it
> is more accessible to outsiders, but some of this ...

??

> > # I can live with the gradient menu.
>
> I kind of like this myself. Gives a nice texture.
>
> >   Narrower scroll bars aren't very easy to use...
>
> I agree. Unless on a PDA, which usually have lower DPI screens, making the
> narrow bar actually physically wider. But on a 320x240 PDA is the only
> place that I use narrow scrollbars in Squeak, otherwise they're harder to
> use. And I'm the kind of person who likes smaller widgets- but on an OS
> like Windows, scrollbars are on of the things I don't make smaller.

As I said in my previous post, the scrollbar size is based on the size of the default font.

I didn't try the new look with Lucy font yet.

> >   The good thing is that those have the preferences to control.  So
> > the question is what preferences we would like to turn on/off in the
> > vanilla 3.7 release image.  I'd like to say that to turn off the
> > #menuWithIcons and #scrollBarsNarrow.  How do people think?
>
> I agree. That'd be great!

Before deciding this we have to decide the size of the default font.
(see my previous message).

> Regards,
> Aaron

Cheers,