Why multiple change files?

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sun Mar 7 11:57:00 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I am struggling to find an acceptable work process. I admit that I like
what I am used to, and that new ways could be better ways.

I am used to having a single changes file with many image files, and I now
get lost when I try to find some useful old stuff from somewhere in my 32
changes files.

My old image files showed different snapshots of my work, I could easily
pick up exactly where I was two days ago.

My old, single changes file was my log and memory of all I had done in any
context. I could easily pick up an earlier experiment even if it had been
discarded using a ChangeList editor.

Some knowledge seems deeply embedded in the Squeak image: There are exactly
TWO source files; all new stuff is written at the end of file number 2. The
changes file must have a name exactly as derived from the image file name.
None of this is technically necessary. They are conventions that, IMO,
could better be implemented in an outer user interface layer.

I have 32 images in my current sequence. I also have 32 changes files. All
the images could have worked just as well with a single, common changes
file. They would work even better. For the very useful 'versions' command
could show ALL versions of a given method. I could work in any of my 32
images; new stuff would be appended at the end and all images would be happy.

There may be a fundamental difference between VW and Squeak. In my VW/OOram
images, new info is always appended at the end of the last sources file. A
method knows its source as an index in the source files array identifying
the file + an pair of indexes within this file to identify the string. So
an image is never confused by other images writing THEIR stuff to the end
of the last file.

So, given that Squeak is as it is and that I have given up doctoring it to
suit my old working habits, how can I benefit from my 32 subtly different
changes files?

Perhaps I should change working habits altogether. I'll be happy to do that
as long as I retain control of my erratic working habits.

Thanks
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway