Why multiple change files?

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Mar 8 10:04:57 UTC 2004

hi Trygve

Still I think that you should once experiment with the notion of build.
A building process: reproduceable and
automated sequences of instructions that produce your system.

When I started coding in Smalltalk I have a lot of images and this was
the mess. Then I discovered Envy
(not really user friendly) but this was the place where I published all
my code. Then I arrived the morning
took a fresh image, click on my last build, or the one five days ago
because I knew the one of yesterday was not the one
I wanted and in ***one*** click I got that. No million of redondant
images anymore.

Images are cool and sweet places to live, hack. But there are not a
good process to reproduce an artifact in time.
Now I use Store (not really sexy too) but we coordinate 6 PhD and
researchers on related but not the same project
in the past I spent ***hours*** releasing script so that people could
load the latest versions...now one click.
Now we can track who did what, rollback. create new build....

You can achieve the same without tool support. This means that I have
one specification: similar to the  sar preamble I sent you where I
specify how to reproduce the version 25 of my environment (ie load MW,
load turtle 36, execute that, do that.... I should load in this order
all these files. Until now I keep all the cs in a huge directory but I
have different build environment scripts so that when I want to get
back in time I need one click to load. I force myself to throw away
images.

Now with monticello the process is easier. I'm migrating to that. For
example, I load the breakOut, changes some code and publish it. I open
a new image check if everything is ok. It is ok then all the code is
stored into different folders and I can access them all the time. no
need 10 mb for 124k of St code.

Imagine
	Squat plus a script = Squeak + another one = OORAM
	Squat plus a script = Squeak + stef one = Caro and Bot

What I can tell you is that once you have a build process, you feel
much stronger and secure because you know
that in one click you can reproduce and be in the same state as before.
So this is worth to try and this is not against images. The two are
different aspects of the same activities.

Stef

PS: measure the time you spend building your environment. I can tell
you that now this time is only the loading time
of code for me and in the MOOSE environment we have around 300 classes
and with CodeCrawler 450.