New look doesn't necessary means better look

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Mar 9 07:40:19 UTC 2004

>> We could also change:
>> 	-  a the size of the fonts used, or
>> 	-  b fixed the fact when there is no icon the space between two items
>> 	is the same as with icons
>> 	- c produce smaller icons (this is easy you do not need to know how
>> program
>> 	just using a drawing tool)
>
>   I remember that there were some discussion about this, but another
> option is to have a scalable icons.
How do we do them?
What is the format?

>   A fixed size bitmaps only works
> in one size, so it may not work very well once someone change the menu
> font.
>
>   Also, supplying the icons should be all or nothing; if a menu has
> icons, all items should have icons.  If not, all shouldn't have.

This is not what I call incremental development given the number of
menu items
that squeak has. So with that state of mind squeak will never has icons.

>> MenuIcons exportAllIconsAsGif
>> Note that if you change the size or produce another set of icons, it
>> would be good to
>> introduce a mechanism to specify their size and change the size
>> depending to the font
>> size.
>

>   Is it an improvement if I say let's set the #menuWithIcons false and
> put a paragraph in the welcome window or such?

Why not? I was just saying that anybody can use the icon exporters and
create new icons.
But I understand your points. ;)

Stef