[BUG][SM] Error when opening a package loader

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Mar 9 09:38:38 UTC 2004

Hi Doug and all!

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
> For some reason, when opening a package loader right now in a
> reasonably fresh 3.7alpha-5764 image (in which a package loader has not
> been opened yet), I get the error stack below.  This is even after I
> deleted the "sm" directory, which normally works as a last resort.
> (Same thing happens in a 5707 image, after it installs SM2.)

The "delete the sm dir" approach doesn't really change much in SM2. :)
This is because in SM1 the log file sometimes got corrupt because of
bugs.
SM2 uses a full snapshot of the map as an ImageSegment instead.

> Interestingly, if I look at SMSqueakMap>>saveCheckpoint: in the debug
> stack, the value of fname is ', :map.426.sgz' which doesn't look good.
> :)  If I look in the (newly generated) sm directory, the only file in
> there is map.376.sgz .

Hehe, oops. That code just sucks!!! Who wrote that?! Is that the same
guy going on and on about quality on squeak-dev?! Jesus. Bring out the
gallow, hang him I say!

Ehrm... I must have been under the influence while writing that. Christ.
Flog me. Hard.

Anyway, the problem is, he, one that appears from time to time. It
didn't appear now with snapshot 427, so I think we are in the clear
until I get out a bug fix.

Thanks, Göran

PS. Sat yesterday and went through all the class comments in SM. And
noticed that there was old code in there - damnit! I thought I had
removed it all. Then it dawned on me - my dev image had the old SM1 in
it when I rigged it up so *all the old damn code came right back*.
Aarrhgh! What a silly mistake. Anyway, the next version of SM will be
MUCH cleaner. :)