[ANN] OmniBrowser

Romain Robbes rrobbes at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Mar 9 14:33:06 UTC 2004

Le 8 mars 04, à 20:51, Colin Putney a écrit :

> On Mar 8, 2004, at 9:39 AM, Romain Robbes wrote:
>
>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> I had a quick look at your OmniBrowser, and it seems very promising
>> I'll have to look inside it further, but it seems to be easily
>> extensible
>> and therefore the ideal base to build new tools on ;-).
>
> For those interested in the inner workings of OB, I've uploaded some
> preliminary documentation to the OmniBrowser home page:
>
> http://www.wiresong.ca/ob/

great ! although OB seems much simpler to use than the existing Browser,
a little bit of documentation always help.

> I expect future additions to be "task based." For example, the next
> couple of topics I address will probably be "How to implemented a node
> class." and "How to create a metagraph." Feedback appreciated, of
> course.

I would have asked you anyways ...
I'd like to try out stuff with it, it might be a good brower
for BrowseUnit.

>> I especially like the possibility to browse only a package (is it
>> extensible
>> to several packages ?), and your "chase implementors" functionality).
>
> I'm really starting to like the package browser. It's really
> convenient to browse just the package I'm working on, and especially
> nice to be able to limit the implementors and senders searches to just
> that package.

Yes it is ... it might still be useful to browse a few packages at the
time, though.
Another "feature request" would be that your PackageBrowser does
not allow yet to directly browse class extensions, as the Monticello
Browser does
(but you can't modify stuff in the latter). But it seems that the
"chase implementors"
facility finds the extensions .

>> And it seems to be extensively tested :-).
>
> My to do list has some tests that are still missing, but I think the
> coverage is generally pretty good.

Definitely yes. While browsing your code and your test code, I actually
learned quite
a lot. I think that your mock classes could be released separately as
they seem
quite nice to use on their own.

> Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the good work ;-)