[OT} UIs, old DC3s, Alan Kay and RISKS

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Mar 9 14:46:04 UTC 2004

Hi Folks --

I like the designation of this as a "true story". Actually, it was
one of the main jokes at PARC about UI and we were pretty sure that
it was only partly true. We heard the story from elsewhere and I have
always told this joke as happening to someone else not to me. (It was
actually a flight from Mexico City to the Yucatan peninsula, etc.) So
here are some interesting restructured memories in the retelling.
However, it's wonderful that the gist and the point of the joke were
perfectly remembered. This is why allegories, etc., were heavily used
before writing and printing. The stories always get changed, but
usually the gist remains intact.

Cheers,

Alan