[UPDATES] 52 for Squeak3.7alpha

dway at mailcan.com dway at mailcan.com
Wed Mar 10 07:44:38 UTC 2004

The latest batch of updates, including the squeakland changes.  We're
about to move to 3.7beta (feature complete), but I'm waiting for a
couple of days to see if the endian problem can be resolved so that we
can incorporate the BitstreamVera fonts.  In the meantime, enhancements
can still be approved.

- Doug

------------------------------

5765q01-eToyFixes-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 11 March 2003

Š  When the user renames a script, script-firing buttons will now
automatically be relabeled, unless they have already manually been
edited, and will be fixed up so that they properly fire the renamed
script.

Š  When the user asks to remove an instance variable, a check is now
made to see if any scripts belonging to the object currently use that
variable -- if so, permission to remove the variable is denied.  If not,
a further check is made to see if there are any extant scripts in
*other* objects that may reference that instance variable, and if any
are found, a warning is put up.

Š  The menu item that offered the user the opportunity to rename an
instance variable is suppressed -- too many ways things can go wrong
there.

Š  The halo menu for script-activation-buttons is considerably fixed up
-- it had been showing quite a few items in two places.

Š  Provides a class comment for ScriptActivationButton.

This version adapted 3/2/04 by Scott Wallace from Squeakland update
0147eToyFixes-sw.  The methods that required manual reintegration with
3.7a were:

Player.slotInfoButtonHitFor:inViewer:

ScriptActivationButton.addCustomMenuItems:hand:

"

5766q02-trails-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 4 March 2004

Created by merging the following four pen-trail-related updates from
Squeakland, then integrating them with Squeak 3.7a/5764 (quite a few
collisions were encountered):

  0148arrowShaft-sw

  0149arrowhead-sw

  0153dotsTrailStyle-sw

  0155dotsTrail-sw

NB:  Assumes the subsequent loading of the
PasteUpMorph>>additionsToViewerCategories method in the 'textInEToys-sw'
update.

Allows pen trails to be lines, linesAndArrows, or just arrows.  Consult
the pen-trails category in viewers.

NB:  Restores method Preference.setArrowheads, which was erroneously
removed by KCP update 5480KCP97NewPointOrNil.

Adds a new trail-style called 'dots' to the etoy system.

Also, guards SearchingViewer against putting up a gratuitous informer
when Vocabulary is reinitialized

Š Adds a new trail-style called 'dots' to the etoy system.

Š Terminology changes:

  - 'arrows' is now 'arrowheads'

  -  'lines and arrows' is now 'arrows'.

Š pen-trails submenu in the halo-menu is split off as a stand-alone
menu, so that it can conveniently be made permanent if desired.

Š 'dotSize' variable governs size of dot.  Defaults to 6, the smallest
size at which dots start seeming round, but the user can set it to any
value between 1 and 100.

Š Also, guards SearchingViewer against putting up a gratuitous informer
when Vocabulary is reinitialized."

5767q03-textInEToys-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 22 May 2003

Some extensions affording etoy access to text-handling functions.

Also, some extensions to and rewordings of functions relating to
'telling.'

Adapted from update 0170textInEToys-sw of Squeakland; integrated with
Squeak 3.7a by Scott Wallace on 3/3/04."

5768q04-variables-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 3 March 2004

Derived for 3.7a from Squeakland updates: 0151variables-sw.cs, dated 18
March 2003

0152bolderV-sw, dated 20 March 2003

0165variablesFixes-sw,  dated 15 April 2003

There were numerous collisions with recent 3.7a code.

Use the term 'variable' rather than 'instance variable' in the etoy UI.
 Also parameterize the term for used for both this and the user-scripts
category, so that the next time we want to make a change like this it
will be much easier.

Add a 'v' button added to the header of a Viewer that serves to add a
variable, and remove the corresponding menu item  from the Viewer menu.

All of these changes made at the Kim's request.'"

5769q05-stickyPadEtc-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 4 March 2004

Derived primarily from Squeakland update 0154stickyPad-sw.

Also subsumes Squeakland updates 0150supplies-sw and
0159stopStepGoHelp-sw

Adds a new item to the Squeakland Supplies bin, which delivers up
translucent, borderless Rectangles in a sequence of 6 colors.  Requested
by Kim Rose.

Tweaks the wording of the help-message for the all-scripts-tool as
requested by Kim.

Modifies the Supplies flap used in the plug-in image such that it no
longer offers the paint-invoking icon."

5770q06-navBar-sw -- Scott Wallace, Michael Rueger -- 3 March 2004

Merges code for the ProjectNavigationMorph from several Squeakland
updates:

0156navigatorHelp-sw  of 18 April 2003

0157quitButton-sw of 21 April 2003

0185noTabsInNavBar-sw of 19 December 2003

0195navLangButton (by Michael Rueger) of 29 Feb 2004.

Changes wording of balloon help for a couple of navigator buttons, as
per Kim.

Eliminates the show-tabs/hide-tabs button from the nav-bar.

Adds a button to the navigator bar for switching the etoy tile
language."

5771q07-preserveSounds-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 14 April 2003

Adapted for 3.7a on 4 March 2004 from Squeakland updates
0160preserveSounds-sw and 0164bareSoundTile-sw and one method also
plucked out from 0186soundImprovements-sw.  Note that also essential is
ProjectLoading.openName: stream: fromDirectory:withProjectView:, whose
code, integrated with the sound-preservation code of this update, will
arrive in the next update, securityEtc-mir.

Writes out relevant additions to the sound library along with a saved
project, so that sounds used in a project in one image and referenced in
its scripts or in any instance variable well be accessible in images
into which the saved project is subsequently loaded.

Extends the sound-preservation logic so that sounds referenced by bare
sound tiles visible in the project are also preserved -- formerly, they
had to have been used somewhere in the etoy structures of the project."

5772q08-securityEtc-mir -- Michael Rueger -- 10 November 2003

Derived from Squeakland updates

0183localSecurity.cs, 0184reportAndFix.cs, and 0187loadFix.cs

Integrated with Squeak 3.7a by Scott Wallace, 4 March 04; there were
several collisions that needed fixing up.

This update consists of three parts:

- hides the progress morph until the publishing actually starts (after
the user selected a directory)

- changes the project loading logic so sandboxing can independently be
en/disabled for local and remote projects (default is local-off,
remote-on)

- add a storeLog button to the notifier to allow users to explicitely
write a log after an interrupt.

and from the reportAndFix update of Squeakland...

Changes the error report button, applies the timestamping to automatic
debug logs as well (controlled by a Preference debugLogTimestamp), adds
a workaround for safari messing up underscores.

Fixes a problem with loading a project containing projects."

5773q09-colorCsTT-nk -- Ned Konz -- 9 July 2003

Adopted for Squeak 3.7a on 3/4/04 (sw), from Squeakland update
0162colorCsTurtleTrails-nk.cs.  There were three collisions with MCP
changes but in each case Ned's Squeakland version subsumed the MCP
change, so all the code in this update is identical to the Squeakland
version.

* Makes turtle trails appear above the background sketch if any

* Makes #color:sees: and #touchesColor: tests work right with display
depths > 8.

* Makes #color:sees: and #touchesColor: work right in the World

* Makes the grid visible to #color:sees:, #colorUnder and
#touchesColor:

It may break some scripts that use #color:sees: or #touchesColor: on
playfields that have background grids, if the color being sought is
exactly the same color as the color of the grid. To fix these scripts,
change the grid color slightly.

It also will use more memory for the turtle trails form when your
display depth is > 8. However, this memory will be discarded before
saving the image.

This change set also removes an unnecessary ColorPatchCanvas copy that
was in #patchAt:without:andNothingAbove:

v2: made sure that backgroundMorph gets nil'd out when it's unlocked
and then deleted."

5774q10-flapsText-mir -- Michael Rueger -- 10 September 2003

Allows the text of the Flaps Help window to be obtained even in image
that has its changes file stripped.

>From Squeakland update 0163flapsText.cs.

Adapted for 3.7a by Scott Wallace, with addition of Babel compliance."

5775q11-kbdNav-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 3 March 2004

Merges Squeakland updates 0169kbdProjectNav-sw and the (presumed)
0194modularCmdKeys-sw.

Integrated with Squeak 3.7a/5764 (there were  collisions with babel
work).

Allows a thread to be navigated from the keyboard, using:

NEXT:	space right-arrow down-arrow.

PREV:	backspace, left-arrow, up-arrow

FIRST:	Home

LAST:	End

Menu items are added to the main ThreadNavigatorMorph's menu to
associate the thread with keystroke handling.

Once set up, the keyboard handling remains in place as you navigate
from project to project.

Makes the handling of desktop command keys modular.  Users can modify
the handling of desktop command keys in a non-invasive way, and
individual projects can define their own custom handling for desktop
command keys."

5776q12-viewerFeedback-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 3 March 2004

Derived from the following Squeakland updates:

  0145grabVarFromNoun-sw.cs (27 February 2003)

  0171getSetFeedback-sw (22 May 03)

  0175viewerMouseover-sw.cs (6 June 03)

  0178mouseOverFix-sw.cs (17 June 03)

A drag from the noun at the head of a variable/slot line (e.g. 'car's
heading') now hands you a getter for the slot.

Provides mouse-over feedback for getters and setters in etoy viewers.

Further refinements to the mouseover feedback for Viewer items
introduced earlier:

Š  Mouseover feedback is also provided for command phrases.

Š  Colors used for the slot-tearoff potential and phrase-tearoff
potential are different.

Fixes the bug that caused spurious feedback in a viewer for a mouseover
of a phrase in a scriptor."

5777q13-resizeBook-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 June 2003

Derived from Squeakland updates:

 0166fullScreenBookFix (4 March 2003)

 0176pageSize-sw (7 June 2003)

 0177storyBdFix-sw (25 July 2003)

Makes the resize handle on a BookMorph or StackMorph or TabbedPalette
behave the way any reasonable person would expect.  Finally, after all
these years.

Also adds an option for any BookMorph or StackMorph to have all its
pages be maintained at the same dimensions.

Also, a bug fix:  In a bookMorph's full-screen mode, going to a
different page was resulting in the disappearance and non-recoverability
of the floating page controls"

5778q14-recordingCtls-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 10 June 2003

Adapted from Squeakland update 0179recordingCtls-sw.

Integrated with 3.7a 3/3/04 by Scott Wallace -- one babel collision
only.

Fixes the wording of the prompt for a sound name in the
RecordingControlsMorph 'make tile' command,

Also guards against falling into debuggers when Morph, Tile, Trim,
Show, or Play buttons are pressed before any recording has taken place."

5779q15-miscFixes-mir -- Michael Rueger -- 29 October 2003

Integrated with 3.7a by Scott Wallace 3/3/04; the one method at issue
is ProjectLauncher.startUpAfterLogin, which may still need a tweak.

This change set combines a few fixes contributed by Ted, Bert and
myself.

- fix for the Safari workarounds

- enable the notifier when errors during saving occur

- enable relative file names for auto start scripts

- disable the resouce management by never writing out forms separately"

5780q16-soundTile-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 24 November 2003

Adapted for 3.7a from Squeakland 0186soundImprovements-sw on 4 March
2004; several integration issues encountered because of the recent
addition of thte SoundService architecture.

When the user clicks on the name of a sound on either a SoundTile or a
SoundReadoutTile, a pop-up of available sounds is now presented, from
whence the user can choose one.  This can be faster and more direct (and
quieter!) than cycling through the available sounds one by one.  Note
that this restores an earlier behavior that somehow got lost a couple of
years ago.

Note that one method from the original Squeakland update has been moved
to the preserveSounds update in this same batch."

5781q17-squeaklandMisc-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 4 March 2004

A merger of several small and mostly unrelated Squeakland updates.

>From 0158redUnderEdit-sw (20 April 2003)

Š Provides under-edit feedback for StringMorphs-- turns the characers
red when under edit.

>From 0161grabPlayerFix-sw (24 April 2003)

Š Fixes the bug that could result in the loss the viewer for an
off-screen object if, after an object had been placed in the hand by a
'grab me' request from a viewer, the object were released in a
no-drop-zone.

From:  0168retargetFix-sw (20 May 2003)

Š Fixes bug in code for retargeting a tile such that it references a
different player.

Š Revert another piece of Modules residue

(required integration with 3.7a babel changes)

From:  0172copyPlayerFix-sw (22 May 2003)

Fixes the bug that had made the #copy function appear as a command
rather than a slot in a Viewer.

>From 0173joystickStepTime-laza, by Alexander Lazarevic: (8 June 2003)

Fixes bug that gave wrong step-time to JoystickMorph when tracking real
joystick

>From 0180mouseXYFixes-sw (9 January 2003)

Fixes mouseX and mouseY so that they give the correct values when
originAtCenter is in effect for a playfield.

>From 0189hideDot-sw (20 January 2004)

Makes the Dot spend its life just off the top-left-edge of the screen.

"

5782q18-browserPluginFixes -- Michael Rueger -- 5 March 2004
Adds a workaround for those browser plugins (like Safari) for which the
determineRunningInBrowser is broken.
Adapted from 0174browserPluginFixes

5783q19-miscPrjFixes -- Michael Rueger -- 7 March 2004
Port of some project related fixes from the squeakland update stream."

5784NoEventSensorProcess-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 6 February 2004
Removes the ioProcess from event sensor."
Sensor inputProcess terminate.

5785EnhDebugger

5786PortNumColonSyntax-gk -- Göran Krampe -- 2 March 2004
Adaptation of Andrew Blacks original SMTPSocket fix.
Simple addition to ProtocolClient class>>openOnHostNamed: in order to be
able to use the colon syntax to express a portnumber.
Example: 'mail.mydomain.com:25' would use 25 instead of 'self
defaultPortNumber' as the port.
(Fixed a potential buglet so that the colon is not included in the port
substring. -dew)

5787ExportAsPNG-nk -- Ned Konz -- 16 February 2004
This adds 'export as PNG' to the Morph export menu, now that the
PNGReadWriter knows how to write.
Also adds PNG export to MenuIcons class.

5788LargeListsEnh2-nk -- Ned Konz -- 10 January 2004
A little change to allow list morphs to have Text instances in their
lists. The text is displayed using the first emphasis, but at least this
lets us use bold.

5789SUnitFromSM-md -- Marcus Denker -- 16 February 2004
This cs loads the current SUnit from SqueakMap

5790SimpleHierarchyExample -- Lex Spoon -- 1 March 2004
A simple example usage of SimpleHierarchicalListMorph.  Also adds a
comment to SimpleHierarchicalListMorph."

5791SmallTypos

5792LanApplyTranslations-dgd -- Diego Gomez Deck
<DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> -- 25 February 2004
Include the update of all tile scripting elements in Language
class>>applyTranslations just in case eToys are translated using Babel.

5793ObjectsToolMakeTaller-klc

5794BalloonComments -- Andreas Raab -- 4 March 2004
22 comments for various Balloon classes."

5795FixToUpdate5685 -- Karl Ramberg -- 29 February 2004
Postscript in update 5685 was commented out, so that the fix hadn't
taken effect yet.  Fixed here"

5796ChangeListSelClass-nk -- Ned Konz -- 26 February 2004
Fixes problems with evaluating code in a ChangeList.

5797LexiconOpenOnClass-hmm

5798TestDegreeCosSin-sd -- stephane ducasse -- 4 March 2004
tests for degree sin and degree cos"

5799DegreeCosInNumber-sd -- stephane ducasse -- 5 March 2004
refactor degreeCos in Number so that Fraction can be polymorphically
used too. "

5800ProxyAuthPostFix-daf

5801StubMethodCreationCat-rr -- rr -- 3 March 2004
v2: stef changed the message + added translated for babel!
+ remove the method comment which was not one :)
Adds a 10 line method, and modifies another, so that when a method is
created in the debugger,
the user is asked the category in which it shoud be implemented. I hope
this two-method
change is small enough to be accepted quickly, as I find it quite
useful."

5802PixelAtBugFix -- Andreas Raab -- 1 March 2004
When using bit peekers or pokers across snapshots BitBlt may eventually
attempt to write into the (compressed) bits of some bitmap, severely
screwing up when it finally realizes that it needs to decompress the
form. This CS forces unhibernation before the the bits are overwritten.
Tests included"

5803VersionsBrowserRevert -- Andreas Raab -- 3 March 2004
When a method has been accidentally removed, using VersionsBrowser's
revert feature is often the only way to get it back. Unfortunately,
VersionsBrowser got changed so it does not include the 'revert' menu
entry when the list of versions was only one element in size, which is
the case when removing a method.
These changes reinstate the previous behavior so that the 'revert' menu
entry is available for a list of length 1."

5804SaveAsFix-tpr -- tim at sumeru.stanford.edu -- 6 March 2004
Yoshiki noticed that with the revised saveAs code in 3.7-5764 there
could be odd problems if the path include a directory with a name like
foo.bar - the FileDirectory class>baseNameFor: code would then strip too
much from the filename ifthe user simply entered 'blim' as an image
name. Instead of getting
'ADFS::HardDisc4/$/Squeak/sq37.foo/blim.image' you would get
'ADFS::HardDisc4/$/Squeak/sq37.image' which isn't quite the desired
effect.
This change alters baseNameFor: to split the path and only trim any
extension from the leaf. Note that
a) there are users of baseNameFor: that might need alteration or that
can be simplified
b) this still leaves huge amounts of crap alive in the file naming code.
Still, one down, six trillion to go."

5805UnwindFixes-ajh -- Anthony Hannan -- 5 March 2004
If an error is raised while unwinding from a terminate, a debugger will
now appear.
Fixed unwind simulation.
Fixed ensure: so a remote return from its ensure block won't trigger
itself again.
Refactored Process>>popTo: and complete:.

5806DosFileDirFixes -- Andreas Raab -- 6 March 2004
Some recent changes exposed a significant bug in DosFileDirectory's
splitName:to: handling. Since conceptually, all of the 'drives' (e.g.,
the roots of the Win32 file system) are seen as hanging off the empty
path (FileDirectory root) even a 'drive' must be split accordingly to a
(non-empty) local name and the (empty) root path. Please note that the
comment from update 5179sendersOfSplitName-asm claiming:
	On Windows this must be true
	FileDirectory basicNew fileOrDirectoryExists: 'C:'
is wrong. 'FileDirectory basicNew' creates an *uninitialized* directory
rather than the virtual root of the file system, so the above query must
raise an error. What must be true on Windows is:
	FileDirectory root fileOrDirectoryExists: 'C:'.
The change set fixes the issue, adds a comment explaining why this
relation is important and provides some tests which should make the
currently broken behavior abundantly clear (the tests need to be run on
Windows to see the effect).

5807FCBtheNonMetaClass-fbs

5808MessageTallyImprv-nk -- Ned Konz -- 8 March 2004
* Centralizes the idea of a default polling period for MessageTally and
TimeProfileBrowser. Also changes that default polling period to 1msec.
We were using numbers like 10 and 16 msec, which are no longer good
choices for today's faster machines.
* Makes default polling period changeable by saying
	MessageTally defaultPollPeriod: msec
* Adds #spyOn: and #spyOnProcess:forMilliseconds: to TimeProfileBrowser
* Improves MessageTally class comment
* Adds ability to change formatting of MessageTally output
(class/selector shortening, tab compression)
* Makes ProcessBrowser use TimeProfileBrowser for its profiling.

5809CommentNotificationFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 8 March 2004
For some reason the notification of class comment changes was being done
before the comment was updated in the class organizer.
So interested clients couldn't get the new comment.
This little fix makes the notification happen *after* the comment is
actually changed.

5810ZipCrcTests -- Andreas Raab -- 29 February 2004
Integrates CRC validation at the level of InflateStream thereby avoiding
some of the problems when dealing with it in subclasses. With these
changes CRC validation is implicit - when we hit the end of a stream
(such as upon #contents, #upToEnd or similar) the CRC will be validated
automatically. If a missing or wrong crc is encountered a CRCError will
be raised. Some tests are provided to show what is expected if a
missing/wrong CRC is encountered.
7 March (Ned Konz):
Made CRCError actually resumable to correspond with the 'proceed to
continue' messages in the verifyCrc methods.
Added similar CRC integration for Zip archive stream reading by adding
ZipReadStream.
Added tests for reading past end of InflateStream subclasses and fixed a
potential problem with #next: by returning a partial buffer if the
stream is at its end.
Added detection for CRC-32 corruption to ZipArchiveMembers, and
indication of such corruption in the ArchiveViewer.

5811KCP180MoreCompilerPrtcl -- Nathanael Schaerli -- 04 March 2004
Version:			2
Deprecates the ClassDescription>>removeSelectorUnlogged: as we now use
#removeSelectorSilently: instead.
Version 2:
This version fixes a bug in the method #removeSelectorSilently: that was
introduced in an earlier changeset.

5812ForgetOrganizerDoIts-nk -- Ned Konz -- 8 March 2004
It is possible to have a DoIt recorded in a ClassOrganizer despite not
having it in the method dictionary.
This fix makes forgetDoIts also clean the class organizer.

5813SystemChgNotifUndcl-nk -- Ned Konz -- 6 March 2004
Removes an Undeclared reference to SARChangeSetDumper, which is defined
in an external package.

5814linesInHierarchy -- Steven Swerling -- 28 December 2002
Add a preference called showLinesInHierarchyViews. When true, faint
lines are drawn in hierarchy views to make it more clear how the
elements in the view are related.
Added this version: Added drawing optimizations to the last version of
this changeset, and a color fix. Also, incorporates Ned Konz's fix for
list items that have icons (for the StarBrowser).
19 Feb 2004 (Ned Konz):
More geometry tweaks to avoid wrong line drawing.
8 Mar 2004 (Ned Konz):
Fixed up color again.
Moved instance variables.
Now caches toggle forms in a class instance variable instead of on
instance side.

5815SetDefaultSoundService-nk -- Ned Konz -- 9 March 2004
Recent updates have left the default SoundService unset, causing a
prompt on the first time a sound occurs.
This CS:
- adds a means to set a default on an AppRegistry subclass
- sets the default sound service to BaseSoundSystem if unset.
This is done in the postscript.

5816MagnifierToolMerged-nk -- Ned Konz -- 6 March 2004
This change set merges the behavior of the HandDisplayingMagnifierMorph
from my ENH called MagnifierTool-nk into MagnifierMorph as suggested by
Ken Causey.
It also improves the class comment and removes an unused instance
variable (lastPos).
When a MagnifierMorph is told
	showPointer: true

then it will also:
	* display morphs that are held by the hand
	* display the hand's cursor position.

<This automated message brought to you by the UpdateIncorporationTool.>
<See the UpdateIncorporationTool package on SqueakMap for details.>