Recompilation (was: Re: Tips and tricks?)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Mar 10 22:15:18 UTC 2004

On Mar 10, 2004, at 1:49 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> By the way, that's what we were playing with yesterday ;-)

The version of MC that I just posted on SM should make what we were
discussing easier.  I've made two changes: first, when building a
snapshot, each class in the package gets to return a collection of
#classDefinitions rather than a single #asClassDefinition.  Second,
when reading the .st snapshot file, any unrecognized doIts get the
chance to be handled by a subclass of MCDoItParser.  New subclasses
must:

- implement #pattern on the class side to return a string that will be
#match:ed against the doIt.
- implement #addDefinitionsTo: .  This should parse the 'source' string
inst var into any number of Definition objects and add them to the
collection that is passed in.

I'll probably write up a wiki page soon that describes all the steps
necessary for adding custom definitions like this.