Squeak in Robotics

Roderick Taylor r.taylor at student.qut.edu.au
Fri Mar 12 09:27:21 UTC 2004

Hi everyone on squeak-dev,

I am continuing some work started by Johannes Jansson at the
Queensland University of Technology here in Australia same
time 2003.  I am going to re-make a few requests he made in
the hope that some more work has been done.  Oh and Johannes,
if your still on this list, could you get in contact with me.

There are two things we want to do with squeak.
1. Port it to a BlueMod board (XScale Microprocessor) that
only has a text/terminal style interface at most.  We want to
do this without Windows CE because we don't want to fork out
money for licenses. uClinux is the most attractive option.
2. Communicate between squeak VMs (PC to BlueMod, PDA to
BlueMod, BlueMod to BlueMod, BlueMod to whatever etc.) using
some distributed object model.

Johannes has done some work on all of this before and has had
some successes. I've skimmed through his report, I think it
was his masters thesis.

I'd be very keen to talk to

Serge Stinckwich about what he's doing, Stephen Pair about
Magma and Craig Latta about Squat.

Roderick Taylor