HTTPClient (was Re: [BUG] Can't load BFAV into any 3.7 image)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Mar 12 20:48:10 UTC 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 12:32 PM, Doug Way wrote:

> Ooh, wait a minute, I see that the HTTPClient package is ported from
> Dolphin, and is not under Squeak-L.  So, maybe not.  (unless it is
> under MIT or somesuch)

It's under BSD, I think.  But before we think about including it, it
needs a lot of work - the initial port I did was of the "hack until the
tests barely pass" variety.  I don't know how much work Brent has done
since then but I'm pretty sure it's not really suitable for inclusion*
yet.

One thing we should decide is how much we care about keeping the code
relatively faithful to the Dolphin version.  For example, it currently
uses LookupTable instead of Dictionary.  Do we: write a LookupTable
class?  Have a stub LookupTable that's a subclass of Dictionary (which
is what I did to get it to work)?  Change all the uses of LookupTable
to Dictionary?  Depending on which we choose, merging in later changes
that are made to the Dolphin version will be more or less painful.

*And when I say inclusion, let me be clear that I mean "inclusion into
the Network-Protocols package".  This happens to currently be part of
the base image, but it won't always be.