Entering code

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sat Mar 13 12:25:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:31:15 -0500 (EST), Aaron Lanterman
<lanterma at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> 1) One thing is driving me completely nuts: Sometimes I'll be writing a
> method, and would like to leave it half finished - maybe making reference
> to a new instance variable I now realize I need - look around at some
> other stuff, and then go back to it. But when I do that, it asks if I want
> to save changes, and it forces me to accept it in order to save the
> changes, but it will only accept it if it's a real working piece of code.
> To work around this problem I generally have a lot of browser windows
> open.
>
> Is there a way to tell Squeak, "look, don't compile this yet, it's not
> ready to go, but please do save the text, I promise I'll come back to it?"

Back when I worked at The Object People, Anthony Lander and I wrote a
browser in Visual Smalltalk that solved this problem quite nicely. You
could, at any point in time, push the entire state of the browser on a
stack, including the dirty state of the text pane. You could go off and
explore other parts of the system, add inst vars, etc, and then one
keystroke would pop you back to exact state you were in before.

It was very nice to use, allowing for quite context changes without
littering the desktop with extra windows.

Unfortunately, we never did get this browser ported to Squeak -- the state
push/pop was just one of the cool things it had.

Later,
Jon