Learning Smalltalk

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Mar 13 15:34:01 UTC 2004

> Which book are you referring to here?
2) Buy, borrow, or steal Kent Beck's "Guide to Better Smalltalk" - it
was
this is just a collection of articles of various quality.

The book of kent is Best Smalltalk Practices that is a must read but
you have to
be fluent with smalltalk before. The next one is Smalltalk Design
Pattern Companion.

> This is a curiosity question and not an argumentative
> question.... I liked some books, e.g., the White book
> and Korienek et al., because the get you into things
> in a hurry. On the downside, one doesn't get into
> anything very deep... They are good to build the
> confidence in manipulating things in the environment.

I prefer the winston book on on to smalltalk for that kind of kleenex
book (read one and throw away)

> The white and the blue book also present
> 'motivational' material on some of the multimedia
> aspects that pull a lot of people into Squeak. I for
> one get a little frustrated with that material. There
> is not that much on actual coding and Squeak is a
> moving target.

I know. But if you want good book on smalltalk:
Smalltalk by Example is a good one available on my web page.
The simon lewis the art of programming in smalltalk is ok too.
Inisde smalltalk is definitively important to read
and to start you can read the bernar horan book on my web page too.

> Frankly, I appreciate all of the efforts one way or
> another...writing a book or large report is not an
> easy undertaking. There is the devil in the details.
> Still I've not seen the Smalltalk equivalent of
> Winston and Horn's 'LISP or Anderson et al. 'Essential
> Lisp'. One notable characteristic of both of these
> books is the use of 'projects' of significant use and
> intellectual content to demonstrate core elements of
> the language. Hmmm, I'm back to my 'projects' comments
> from last year--I've not made much progress, life gets
> into the way of coding. I've not given up though :o)

I did not read those books so I cannot judge.

But we have
	best smalltalk practices
	Smalltalk by example
	Smalltalk design companion

that are deep and worth reading several times

> Another characteristic is a nice balance between
> explanation and brevity. The authors explain what,why,
> and how but never stray to far from code. Staying in
> my momentary 'lisp' context, contrast the two
> mentioned books to Abelson et al. 'Structure...'. I've
> always admired the book but as an imperfect
> practitioner, I have found it of much less use. It is
> too difficult to jump-start my ideas from that
> platform. This, of course reflects much more on me,
> the reader, than it does the book. Nevertheless, the
> net result is a recommendation of Lisp and Essential
> Lisp over Structure.

can you point two excellent must read book about Lisp?

> I think that Smalltalk--and even the rapidly evolving
> Squeak--can be approached in the same way that LISP is
> approached in the Winston and Anderson books. It
> requires discipline to stay with making substantive
> projects while working within a core of the language,
> i.e. making something with intellectual depth while
> resisting wonderful, but fringe capabilities present
> in the language.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> P.S. I not comparing Lisp to Smalltalk here. I am
> noting an art in Lisp books and thinking how it MIGHT
> provide some insight to an aspiring Squeak
> author--book, web, etc.
>
> P.P.S. It is interesting how Winston has taken a
> completely different approach (compared to LISP) in
> his 'On to Smalktalk' and 'On to C++' books. I do like
> the brevity of the presentations--while maintaining
> overall breadth. But that is a matter of personal
> taste. more :o) More than once the idea of an 'On to
> Squeak', perhaps with a different but similar title,
> has occurred to me.

But it would not be that different compared to the first half of the
book