Learning Smalltalk

Michael Grant mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 16:13:39 UTC 2004

--- stéphane_ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> I prefer the winston book on on to smalltalk for
> that kind of kleenex
> book (read one and throw away)

Hadn't heard that phase before. If fits. However, it
is a good refresher/reference for the 'forced to be an
occasional STer and not every day STer.' I read parts
over. Often passages in a book such as this provide me
with the approach to root the info I want out of one
of the deeper book. BTW--overtime I've downladed and
printed most of the books you have on your web site.
You selection is superb. Tahnk you.

> > The white and the blue book also present
> I know. But if you want good book on smalltalk:
> Smalltalk by Example is a good one available on my
> web page. [ Got it :o) ]
> The simon lewis the art of programming in smalltalk
> is ok too. [ Got it, too.  :o) ]

> Inisde smalltalk is definitively important to read
> and to start you can read the bernar horan book on
> my web page too.

> > Winston and Horn's 'LISP or Anderson et al.
> 'Essential
> > Lisp'. >
> I did not read those books so I cannot judge.

> But we have
> 	best smalltalk practices
> 	Smalltalk by example
> 	Smalltalk design companion
>
> that are deep and worth reading several times

I agree, based on what I have little read in them.
Frankly I think I connect with the LISP books in part
because that is the way I wired, but the "nice balance
between explanation and brevity" is a factor too.

> can you point two excellent must read book about
Lisp?

Winston (LISP), Graham (On Lisp, out of print but
available on the web.)

I also liked the Winston (and Anderson, unfortunately
also out of print) book, because it gave code that I
was able to extend and adapt in the real world -- I'm
a consulting scientist.

Regarding 'On to Squeak'...

> But it would not be that different compared to the
> first half of the
> book

This is true. So it would be easier to produce (and
modify) the Squeak variant. The point is to have a
kleenex book of that caliber SPECIFIC to Squeak. After
all, Winston's is based on an old 16 bit windows ST.
The latter half of a new Squeak variant would explore
some of the Squeak features but in the "On to " style.

Regards,
Mike