Entering code

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Mar 15 07:33:15 UTC 2004

On Saturday, March 13, 2004, at 04:02 AM, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:

> I tend to have at least two browsers open; One for the class I am
> developing and another for library lookup.
>
> P.S.
> I still seem to end up with many windows.

You might want to take a look at the Whisker Browser, which I just
posted an updated version of on SqueakMap.  It attempts to deal with
the problem of having many browsers open, by letting you multi-select
methods and classes and view the stacked multiple selections in a
single window.

> Browsers, hierarchy browsers, protocol browsers, method browsers are
> all useful for their specialities. I sorely miss the very old
> Tectronix browser that elegantly combines them all. I believe there is
> work going on in this direction. If not, I hope to find time writing
> one.

I agree to a large extent.  Whisker integrates the functionality of the
hierarchy browser, at least.

The current Protocol Browser in Squeak is useful, but I often think it
would be simpler to just have a menu option in the regular Browser (or
Whisker etc.) which would let you see the inherited methods there if
you wanted, and not have to open a separate window.

-Doug