Two questions about the browser in 3.7

Ben Schroeder bschroeder at procro.com
Mon Mar 15 14:45:21 UTC 2004

Hi Ned,

> But maybe there's an ideological preference here (that is: we
> should make the
> comments available to all).
>
> Is there something about the comment pane that is getting in
> your way or
> should otherwise be changed?

I'm not the original poster, but wanted to throw in my two cents here.  I'll start by making a disclaimer: I still spend most of my time in 3.6, so what follows is based on only a little 3.7 usage.

I've been trying various 3.7 versions as they've been posted to the FTP site, mostly on my notebook computer, and had noticed the class comment pane.  I must admit that I was pretty apprehensive about it, although I certainly might get to like it over time.

On my desktop, I happened to have a 3.7a-5707 image, and saw that it put the class comments under the class definition, inline as text.  This seemed much less intrusive to me, which I liked very much - I think that I might like browsing with the comments there in that mode.

The pane is probably strictly more flexible - can view long comments while looking at the definition, for example - but my "gut feel" responded better to the smoother look of the inline comment.

As long as I'm on the subject - will the browser-nag preference (that controls whether the browser complains about class comments) be on or off in the standard 3.7-final images?  During alpha or beta, I understand that folks might like to be gently prodded about the lack of comments - but for a release image, it makes me feel a little like I'm being punished (with the all-caps-in-red) even when browsing system classes. :)

Sorry if this has been hashed over before - as I'm sure it has - just wanted to make a note.

Regards,
Ben Schroeder