Adding and removing methods

Jules Dubois de6l5rp02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 16 00:58:10 UTC 2004

I'm writing my first Smalltalk code in Squeak and I've got two questions.

1) If I create a method in a class, does it need to match the other uses
   of the selector in other classes?

   For example, I tried to create a 'new' method in one of my classes
   and received a message, "Warning: new is used in the existing class
   system ...".  Is this just a problem with new?

2) If I create a method in a class using an existing selector, how do I
   remove the method from the class?

   For example, I created an '==' method in a class but I want to get rid
   of it.  When I try to do this, I get a message saying there are
   thousands of senders of this message.  It looks to me like Squeak wants
   to remove the selector from the system and not simply remove the method
   from the class.

Jules