Proposal for implementing services in squeak, need feedback

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Mar 17 14:51:21 UTC 2004

On Mar 16, 2004, at 3:56 AM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 	While trying to dissociate the RB's ui, in order to use it for other
> browsers, like
> OmniBrowser and Whisker, I have come up with a more general Service
> design
> (and a part of the implementation), that I'd like to share with you,
> to know if you agree
> with it, or have propositions to enhance it.

I like it.

It's basically a more sophisticated version of the model that
OmniBrowser is using now, so it would be easy to add service support to
OB, which I'll do if you go ahead with this. (And even if you don't,
I'll probably refactor OB to used this more elegant model.)

One thing you haven't described in detail is how service types are
handled. I'd imagine that service providers should implement
#servicesOfType: rather than just #service. No?

Colin