GOODS and data loss when resuming a commit failure

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Mar 17 18:46:04 UTC 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 4:36 AM, John R. Pierce wrote:

> Last thing I will note is that when I installed the GOODS client I
> didn't have
> the Chronology classes loaded so I got a few MC errors when it tried
> to add
> methods to DateAndTime and some other class (of which I cannot
> remember -- but I
> think was related to Chronology).  The Chronology classes seem to be a
> prereq,
> but it is not listed as so in Squeak Map.  This bit of info could not
> be
> related, but I just thought you should know my specific setup.

Hm, that's annoying - they're not a real prereq, GOODS just wants to
add an extra method to them if they're there (if you don't have them
you can definitely Proceed through the warning).  But it would be nice
to be able to mark extensions (and subclasses) of external classes as
optional, and get rid of the warning when those classes are missing.
We could keep the unloaded definitions around in the WorkingCopy so
that saving a new version of the package would still include them.
This is where we start hitting the wall of using naming conventions in
PackageInfo, though - what would the rules be for combining -override
and -optional?