Howto for using Stunnel with Squeak?

Jules Dubois de6l5rp02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Mar 20 04:54:08 UTC 2004

In article
<OFAC213AC8.FBD7F10F-ON85256E5C.0074789E-85256E5C.00773DB6 at us.ibm.com>, on
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:42:25 -0500, Sam Adams wrote:

> I have noticed several references on the list over the years to the use
> of stunnel  (stunnel.org) as an ssl proxy for squeak apps like commanche
> etc.

I'm visiting from a foreign country (we speak other languages there), so I
don't know Comanche.  However, stunnel is a "system-level" networking
tool, so it's independent of Squeak.

> Anyone ever provide a web page or swiki page with a soup-to-capucino
> example including stunnel config files etc?

I had some difficulty configuring stunnel myself.  What I wanted to do was
connect an MUA that didn't do POP3S to a POP3 server that required POP3S.
Excluding the commented-out lines, this is what I have:

  client = yes

  [pop3s]
  accept  = localhost:45001
  connect = mail.XXXXX.edu:995

That is, stunnel proxies datagrams between local port 45001 (a port chosen
by me at random) and port 995 (POP3S) on the remote system
(mail.XXXXX.edu).  It provides service for my mail "client".

Is stunnel used to proxy services for a Comanche client (as my example
shows) or for a Comanche server?