SM2 Oddity

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 22 10:34:24 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
> I've been wondering why SUnit doesn't show up as an installed package
> in the SMLoader in the current alpha image anymore... it seems that
> this somehow happened during the upgrade to SM2.
>
> For example, start with an earlier (Basic) image such as 3.6-5429-basic
> (from the ftp site).  If I open the package loader and choose not to
> upgrade to SM2, I see these as the installed packages:
>
> PackageInfo (1.30)
> SARInstaller for 3.6 (19->18)
> SM Package Loader (1.02)
> SUnit (3.1)
> SqueakMap Base (1.07)
>
> If I close the loader and re-open and upgrade to SM2, I see these as
> the installed packages:
>
> MCInstaller (8->10)
> PackageInfo (1.30->14)
> SqueakMap2 base (0.96)
> SqueakMap2 loader (0.92)
> VersionNumber (1.0)
>
> So, it seems to have lost track that SUnit, SARInstaller, etc., were
> installed.

I took a look and if you do alt-I on "SMSqueakMap default
installedPackagesDictionary" then you can see that it hasn't been "lost"
actuall - there is an entry in the dictionary for the SUnit package with
version '3.1'.

But it doesn't show in the loader - why? Well, let's debug this:

	(SMSqueakMap default packageWithNameBeginning: 'SUnit') isInstalled

You will eventually see that it checks if there is a release in package
SUnit with manual version '3.1'. But there isn't!

And this is one of the "gotchas" in current SM2 - it only shows existing
releases/packages as installed. The same problem would appear if the
SUnit package was completely removed.

Ok, the short of it - there is no knowledge in the map that there ever
was a 3.1 release. I am not sure why - perhaps Marcus removed it?

regards, Göran

PS. Assuming SARInstaller has some similar issue.