[BUG][FIX] Cannot open files in a Mac volume's root ([er][et] works fine here)

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Tue Mar 23 10:32:40 UTC 2004

Am 23.03.2004 um 03:32 schrieb John M McIntosh:

> Actually this usage doesn't call MacFileDirectory>>isAbsolute:
> So the logic doesn't get invoked.
>
> Soooo
> I altered a few things and now have a change set so that if you do
>
> FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'Network'
>
> they you get a directory on the Network volume.

Great, let's get this in!

However ...

> This is based on deciding if the path is empty, and the local name is
> the same a volume name, then we
> say it's the volume name, versus saying it's a directory in the
> default directory.

Which means I cannot access a subdirectory in my image directory that
has the same name as a mounted volume ...

> So is it
> "Macintosh HD:Network" here or is it
> "Network"
>
> Comments please.

They're both equivalent, AFAICT.

> I've not tested on other platforms, but lets see if we can clean up
> this lingering issue

IMHO this will not become clean until we switch to Unix file names.
Indeed, what's the status on the GUM VM (*)?

For example: If I mount the "shared documents" folder from two Windows
machines, I get *two* volumes named "SHAREDDOCS". Really! The Finder
can distinguish between both, but in Squeak, I can only access the
contents of the first one, even if I click on the second. It seems the
Finder internally uses Unix file names and only presents the HFS
filenames in its UI. We probably should do the same (and hide all the
.files, for example).

- Bert -

(*) Grand Unified MacOSX VM