[ENH] Update of addHorizontalScrollbars changeset for 3.7 ([er][et] [approved])

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Mar 24 06:19:20 UTC 2004

On Tuesday, March 23, 2004, at 04:28 PM, Steven Swerling wrote:

> Version 2 posted on squeak map. Fixes the walkback that occurred when
> text objects were used in list morphs.

Version 2 looks good, as far as fixing the text object problem.

I actually ran across a bug, which I've fixed in this small attached
changeset.  If I opened a changesorter and tried to resize it, I got a
DivideByZero error.

Also, I think that we should probably stick with the current default of
always showing the vertical scrollbar (mostly so that the menu button
always appears for PDA's and systems with one-button mice).  So, I also
added a "self alwaysShowVScrollBar" at the end of
ScrollPane>>initialize.  (This is likely not the best way to handle
this... Steven, feel free to redo this if necessary.)

There are some remaining issues:

- I tried turning off inboard scrollbars (I know some people like the
flop outs), and the flop-out horizontal scrollbar is not reachable and
sometimes overdrawn by the optional button panes.  A quickie temporary
fix would be to simply not show the horizontal scrollbar in flop-out
mode.
- The hiddenScrollBars preference has no effect.  Er, um, it could be a
3-way preference?  (Default would be that only horizontal is
hidden/optional.)
- There's no reason to have the menu button in the horizontal
scrollbar... might as well get rid of it.  There needs to be one and
only one menu button for each pane.  (Personally, I rarely use the menu
button, but I understand why it's there.)

These problems are mostly not too major, and I think this is reasonably
stable, and it is prone to bit rot, so I think we should probably go
ahead and incorporate it.  (Fixes can be worked in during beta.  And
once it's incorporated, we can deprecate TwoWayScrollPane.  And one
nice enhancement on top of this which wouldn't be too hard would be an
option to turn off word wrap in PluggableTextMorphs.)

- Doug