Hello Squeakers

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Mar 24 18:57:31 UTC 2004

Gary,

====================
I'll never understand the dream to make squeak like unix or the unix dream
to make unix like windows.
Gary :))))
====================

No hard feelings, but you are missing my point and reading things I didn't write.

I never said that I want to make unix like Windows.  Far from it.  I want to get away from Windows, but I can't shoot myself in the foot in the process.

There are some things about the feel of the Windows interface(s) that are worthy of flattery in the form of immitation.  For example, "I" pay people a lot of money to enter things into computers, and it would be crazy to make their lives difficult.  Stray clicks picking up up a data entry morph, and forcing the user to bounce between keyboard and mouse against their will are things that should be fixed.

I am perfectly comfortable with (in fact largely prefer) emulated widgets, but they need to work/feel better much more than they need to look better.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology