Porting Squeak?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 25 18:10:12 UTC 2004

vze26m98 <vze26m98 at optonline.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to assess the issues involved in embedding Squeak in a
> MacIntosh application and had a question.
>
> I've currently got Carbon Squeak 3.6 running and have been looking at
> the statements:
>
>     Interpreter translate: 'interp.c' doInlining: true.
>        in the CCodeGenerator class
>
> and
>
>     InterpreterSupportCode writeMacSourceFiles
>        in the InterpreterSupportCode
>
> I've tried to run these statements, but these classes don't seem to be
> present in the Squeak image.
The base image doesn't include the VM related code anymore; not sure
when we removed it but it seems like a good while ago. It is now a
package on Squeakmap.
InterpreterSupportCode no longer exists since it was simply a way of storing
literal strings that are now kept as files in a CVS archive. (Right now the
older stuff is on SourceForge but we are almost certainly about to move to our
own location because SF seems not to like us any more)
The translate:doInlining: message is no longer used. VMMaker is much
more flexible in its setup and operation. VMMakerTool simply provides a
basic UI to VMMaker for general use. See the relevant pages on the
swiki and the class comments for VMMaker and VMMakerTool. You do not
have to use VMMAkerTool in order to drive VMMaker if you have some
strange aversion to a point and click UI.
If you find problems with the documentation or the tool, please let me
know. I've put a deal of effort into trying to make this a thoroughly
effective and well built tool and appreciate all feedback to help
improve it.

Building a custom configuration of VM is pretty simple from the VMMaker end but
you'll need to get very friendly with your platforms's make and
compiler. Being on good terms with a debugger is useful as well.

tim
Spellchecker not found.  Press -- to continue ...