enhancements to wonderland and B3D sensible?

Ferdinand Strixner strixner at web.de
Fri Mar 26 15:41:54 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm (very likely) going to use squeak and wonderland as basis for my
diploma theses. One thing that is somewhat important for this project is
lightning. In the last few days I investigated the current state of
wonderland - among other things in that concern. With some minor fixes I
was able to add all four light types (ambient, positional, directional,
spotlight) to a wonderworld but they do not work as expected because at
least directional lights and spotlights seem more like a placeholder
than a final entity. So here is my question: Is it senisble to put much
effort into getting these advanced light types to work in wonderland/B3D
if they are obsolete anyway when the new rendering engine gets released
as part of croquet? Whouldn't it be more feasable to isolate the 3D
engine part of croquet and make a SqueakMap package out of it in order
to be able to use it in sqeak until the hole croquet system becomes
available?

Greetings,

Ferdinand