3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Mar 26 18:06:19 UTC 2004

A quick update:  3.7 should be moving to beta tomorrow (Saturday).  I
delayed moving to beta for a bit because there were some enhancements
that I wanted to make sure we got in... mainly the BitstreamVera fonts
which required the endianess fixes, the remaining ANSI additions and the
horizontal scrollbar enhancement.

These are all ready now, so the next batch of updates will include the
bump from 3.7alpha to 3.7beta at the end.  Beta means that we'll only
include fixes for the remainder of the 3.7 release.  Beta will last 6
weeks, then 2 weeks for gamma, then 3.7final will be released.

The alpha stream for the next release (3.8 or 4.0) will be opened when
3.7 moves to gamma.  We could do it earlier, maybe halfway through beta,
but we need at least some time during with 3.7beta is the only choice
available to ensure that it gets tested.

Before we open the update stream for the next release, we also need to
decide whether it will be called 3.8 or 4.0.  Personally, right now I'm
leaning toward calling it 4.0, because the m17n work will require that
the .changes file has a new encoding, so we might as well do the
.sources file at the same time and not have them be different
encodings.  A new .sources/.changes encoding seems like a significant
enough change to justify a new major version number.  Besides, the
.changes file is getting pretty big, we've been on 3.x for a long time
now, etc.  (We could also update the out-of-box look and content, too.)
We don't know when/if we're ever going to do a major VM overhaul which
will require a new image format (which would be the other reason to move
to a new major version), so I don't think we should wait around forever
for that before we bump the version number.  3.0 didn't have an image
format change, either. :-)  Besides, there's nothing stopping us from
moving to 5.0 after 4.0/4.1 if we decide we're ready to go for the image
format change.

Or, we could use the occasion of having 4.0 be the next release to go
for whatever VM overhaul needs to be done (if any), and have the image
format change in this next release.

Thoughts?

- Doug