3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Mar 26 18:46:25 UTC 2004

Doug,

Appolgies for sounding like a broken record that skips every six months or so, but when you mention redoing the sources, I feel obligated to give this a try:

While I recognize that purists hate underscores in selectors (and I'm not crazy about them either), I have real-world uses for them, driven by a handful of relational databases that are mission-critical to me, and no doubt others that I haven't met yet.  I find benefit in using field names as selectors, and underscores are common separators in field names.

So, here is my proposal:

(1) The use of _ to represent assignment should be present in the editor, not the source files.
(2) An editor option maps _ to :-=, and on deleting a $=, will automatically delete a preceeding $:.
(3) A separate option displays ':=' as a back arrow in workspaces and browsers.

Doing that would give those who obviously feel strongly about typing := what they want, would give those who really like the back arrow what they want, and would free up the underscore for use in selectors.  A further benefit would be that scamper, the file list, etc., would stop displaying underscores (common in file names, URLs, etc.) as back arrows.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology