3.7 Full

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Mar 26 21:59:11 UTC 2004

Diego Gomez Deck wrote:

>Hi folks...
>
>Some time ago I postulated myself to be the (or one of them) "Full Image
>Maintainer".  I think is time to start to work on this area.
>
>My plan is to start to build the Small-Land image on top of 3.7beta the
>next week. I'll put my best effort to combine both works as much as
>posible to expand the time I can invest on them.

Sounds good!

I agree with most of your proposed additions to Full... comments below.

>Squeak-Full (it is not Squeak?) has to be the Dynabook.  The original
>ideas, this time with enough hardware.
>
>Here my _first_ proposal of changes and aditions for the 3.7 Full:
>
>- Everything that was part of Squeak before the "modularization" effort
>has to work fine in 3.7 Full (Wonderland, Games, Scamper, Celeste, etc).
>There are a some bug/problems reported about Scamper, Wonderland, IRC,
>etc.  All of them have to be fixed.

Yes. (as much as can reasonably be fixed, anyway)

>- Scamper: The table support has to be integrated.

Yes.  If you can coordinate and help make sure that active
maintainers/co-maintainers are added to packages like these, that would
be great.

>- IRC -> IRCe.

Yes.

>- Jabber: The Jabber client has to be tested and included in the full
>edition.  Probably we can install a jabber server at squeak.org.

Sure, makes sense.

>- The default font will be Bitstream giving Squeak a look similar to
>http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/uploads/58/Squeak1024x768.png

In the next batch of updates, these fonts will go in the update stream,
plus there's a doit which sets the titlebar font to a Bitstream/AA
font.  Now, whether we want the code/text/list/menu fonts to be
antialiased as well is an open question.  They do generally look nicer,
but in some ways the crispness of a non-AA font for code can be nice.
At least for the Basic/Developer/Alpha image, I would probably stick
with that.  Maybe it's okay for the Full image to have all AA fonts, but
not the Basic image...?  hmm.

>- The new font-rendering using Freetype/2 has to be part of the image to
>enhance the quality with small fonts. Ned: What about including the
>plugin?

I'm doubtful about this one... I'm not sure this one will be ready in
time for 3.7, although Ned can answer best.  Maybe shoot for the
following release?

>- The default look will assume 1024x768 with 65K colors at least.

Yeah... I think that's probably a reasonable minimum at this point.  I
think previously we assumed at least 800x600 (w/65K colors), but almost
all computers are at least 1024x768 these days.  Well, PDA's aren't, but
you don't really necessarily need to be running the Full image on a PDA.
:-)  (In theory we could even have 32-bit display depth as the default now.)

>- Ned's Connector: They are a *must*.

Good idea.  I think we could get most/all of Ned's prereq fixes in for
this. (probably most are either in or approved by now anyway)

>- Genie: The last version from Ned.

Yes.

>- PlotMorph and PieChartMorph: Both with eToy vocabularies.

Sure.

>- OpenOffice Importer.

Yeah, I suppose, if it's not too huge. ;)

>- PDF Reader: Good to have but I don't know the state.

Not really critical I'd say, but if there is one that works well...

>- Text2Speech: The current version is not so good, anyone has a better
>version of it?  BTW, an eToy vocabulary is needed.

If you find one, sure... ;)

>- Video/Image editing: Basically the work in VideoFlow including eToy
>vocabulary.

Sure... although I don't know if this requires major changes to the base?

>(If you didn't realize yet one of the goals is to make available a lot
>of power from eToy scripts)
>
>- Translations: We have almost-complete translations for German and
>Spanish and some other in progress. ALL of them will be included.

Yes.

>- Games: the old ones plus a good set of new (like Atomic).

Yeah, a few new games would be nice.

>- NetMorph: It could be a great addition but I don't know the state of
>the development.
>
>- Skeleton: Ditto.  Good to have.

Not familiar with these.

>I didn't think yet about the demo-projects to include.

There could be a few new demo projects just to show the added things
above, such as Connectors.

>Additions, comments, etc?

Other possible additions:

- Maybe the Refactoring Browser, although this is arguably a core
developer tool which should be in Basic if it is included.  And I'm not
sure of its current status and if it requires major changes to the
base.  (Although then there's also the StarBrowser & WhiskerBrowser...
I'm not sure these should be addressed via the Full image.)

Anyway, you'll have a bit of work to do just making sure all of these
things work together in the same image. :-)  As a general rule, these
packages should not make changes to the base, or very small changes.  We
may end up leaving out a few if they cause major conflicts with other
packages, and there's not time to clean them up.

- Doug