Re 3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Mar 26 22:11:29 UTC 2004

Avi, Stef,

A change set, huh?  It would make a good Squeak project for me, but I am nervous about two aspects of it.  First, I am not very familiar with the construction of the Squeak development tools.  However, starting with the goal of making _ insert := and then deleting := when  the $= is deleted would a good way to get familiar with them.  I am more concerned about my ability to to deal with what I see as the real problem, which is the use of _ in the compiler and the appearance of many of them in the sources.

Could we make a deal?  Given some editor tweaks that take away the extra typing and display the back arrow, would the powers that be agree to fix the sources and compiler?

Another thing that would fix pretty much my entire problem would be inclusion of the existing fix that allows underscores to appear within selectors (not at the beginning). Just getting that in the main release would be a huge help to me.  However, I would like  to see the rest happen too, and am willing to work on it.  If Stef is willing to conspire with me. so much the better.

Thanks for considering this!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida