New prototype language

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sat Mar 27 22:38:58 UTC 2004

Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:30:09 -0500
> From: Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>
> Subject: New prototype language
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> delivery-date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:29:21 +0100
> envelope-to: celeste at pieber.com
> reply-to: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
> This looks interesting, a cross between Python and Self.
>
> http://www.prothon.org/
>
> Is it me, or have there been lots of little indications lately that
> otherwise mainstream software industry folks are starting to take an
> interest in previously-too-radical-for-consumption concepts like
> dynamic typing, prototypes, capabilities, continuations etc?
Today I stumbled over this and could barely believe it:
http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/1125
http://groovy.codehaus.org/

Richard Monson-Haefel is Mr. EJB himself! Looks like they start getting
it. ;-)

I have the strong feeling that a window of opportunity is opening for
Smalltalk and Squeak again. Many developers get fed up with complicated
solutions.

- Bernhard