3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Mar 26 23:03:01 UTC 2004

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>Michael Rueger <michael at squeakland.org> wrote:
>

>>Doug Way wrote:
>>

>>>Or, we could use the occasion of having 4.0 be the next release to go
>>>for whatever VM overhaul needs to be done (if any), and have the image
>>>format change in this next release.
>>>

>>I strongly vote for this option.
>>

>Ditto, likewise and similar. The compiledmethod format changes are
>sitting there waiting. I have some new primitive handling code that
>isn't quite ready for 3.7 but should be good soon. BlockClosures are
>supported right now but I dare say we could improve VM support for them
>once somebody has had time to do a proper review and they can be added
>to the default image. I, for one, haven't had any opportunity to do
>whatever VM stuff the i18n needs. Dan says he has some VM related stuff
>that might affect image format.
>
>Sounds like maybe we have good pile of things to lump together.

Alrighty then, it sounds like we already have some consensus on this. :)

I'll leave it up to you & Dan & the various VM-interested folks to
coordinate the VM overhaul itself.

As far as scheduling goes, realistically this 4.0 release will probably
take a little longer than the typical 6-month release schedule we've
used for the last few releases.  However, I don't want to plan on a
"whenever we finish it" time schedule, because that might cause it to
drag on for over a year.  Maybe we should shoot for something like 8
months, to give ourselves at least a reasonable amount of pressure to
finish something at a certain time?

Of course, not every single VM change needs to be in this release...
just all of the ones that require or affect the image format change.
Some additional optimizations could always be added in 4.1, etc.

- Doug