enhancements to wonderland and B3D sensible?

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Sat Mar 27 12:49:19 UTC 2004

On 2004-03-26 16:41:54 +0100, Ferdinand Strixner <strixner at web.de> said:

> Hi,
>
> I'm (very likely) going to use squeak and wonderland as basis for my
> diploma theses. One thing that is somewhat important for this project
> is lightning. In the last few days I investigated the current state of
> wonderland - among other things in that concern. With some minor fixes
> I was able to add all four light types (ambient, positional,
> directional, spotlight) to a wonderworld but they do not work as
> expected because at least directional lights and spotlights seem more
> like a placeholder than a final entity. So here is my question: Is it
> senisble to put much effort into getting these advanced light types to
> work in wonderland/B3D if they are obsolete anyway when the new
> rendering engine gets released as part of croquet? Whouldn't it be more
> feasable to isolate the 3D engine part of croquet and make a SqueakMap
> package out of it in order to be able to use it in sqeak until the hole
> croquet system becomes available?

I think we have the same problem in my team, we are working on a 3D
robots simulator with Wonderland/B3B. When Croquet will be out, do we
have to rebuild everything or there is something like a compatibility
layer beetween the two 3D graphics engine ?

--
Serge Stinckwich                                         -< )
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD                /~\