3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Mar 27 15:18:16 UTC 2004

Stef,

========================
I'm seriously flooded by work in this moment. So this is not reasonable
for me to say yes.
But please consider doing it because this would be good.
========================

I have a similar condition, but do need to get back to doing some real things in Squeak (one might think of it as paying the premiums on my cash cow's life insurance policy).

Reality check: I am an experienced Smalltalk programmer, but relatively new to Squeak.  Yoshiki indicated that his work might go a long way toward fixing the problem - please stop me if you think the problem will go away on its own.  Otherwise, feel free to give me an outline of how to proceed, and I will take a crack at it.  Before starting, I want to have a game plan that is manageable and will lead to a useful result.

Here is my thinking so far:

(1) subclass an editor, and build a test fixture with some "code" in the editor.

(2) get the _ -> := and delete behavior working

(3) sheepishly apply the changes to the existing editor, and wait for the crash :)

(4) Yell for help re how to package it into something useful.

Of course, there is still the problem of changes to the compiler and sources.  Actually, the compiler probably does not need to change right away, because it already recognizes :=.

What do you think?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida