How to bring money in the community

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Mar 28 13:24:03 UTC 2004

Hi all

Often I start to code something and I bump into some uglyness (file
systems) or some parts that are not finished (Projects) and I got slow
down.
Saying that part of X or Z is bad does not help, because you have the
"participate" or do it yourself syndrome that I understand perfectly.

Now I would be ready to ***PAY*** to have some better packages. I think
that we should invent a market for better Squeak components. Even if
the components get released in the image.

For now we cannot pay even if we would like. So does anybody an idea
how to proceed?
For example, if one of you can evaluate the amount of effort to fix
some broken/strange part
and start with a price and participation people could then allocate
money so that this part gets improved.

For example:
	- we say the file system improvement should cost 500 $
	- and that the parts are 25$ -> we need to find 20
people/companies/organization
	to pay or less.
	- once the people committed to pay then the provider do it.

I would really like that we give a try because I'm ready to pay to get
better software in Squeak.
But right now we cannot even pay!!!

Stef