How to bring money in the community

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Mar 28 18:43:56 UTC 2004

Samuel Tardieu <sam at rfc1149.net> wrote:

> Stéphane> I would really like that we give a try because I'm ready to
> Stéphane> pay to get better software in Squeak.  But right now we
> Stéphane> cannot even pay!!!
>
> Why don't you hire a consultant to get the work done under a free
> software license?
Believe me, I'm available for very reasonable rates. As are several
other people, some of who might even be nearly as competent as myself
:-)

This is essentially a variant of the idea we hoped to establish  with a
properly legal Squeak Foundation; provide a legal body that could
accept money and pay it out to support people working on significant
projects. Right now I can afford to work on stuff very cheaply (if it's
work I find interesting anyway) because I have no mortgage to worry
about and our other expenses are startlingly small. In fact the total
expenses look likely to be less than just our mortage we were paying in
silly con valley. And waaay less than the taxes I used to pay.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Noli me vocare, ego te vocabo = Don't call me, I'll call you.