How to bring money in the community

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 29 04:16:06 UTC 2004

"Mark A. Schwenk" <mas at wellthot.com> wrote:

> >Now as for the 6 times faster than 3.2 VM - measured how? On what
> >machine(s)? Empty wallets want to know...
> >

> I'd consider any reasonable measure of performance that doesn't reduce
> to hocus pocus. My current servers are Intel Pentium III processors
> running Linux (Fedora Core 1).
I wonder how far we are? I wouldn't be surprised if we're better than
2x anyway simply from general improvements in the code. Wish my recent
prim/timer changes had done as much good for x86 as they did for RISC
OS!

I'd suggest doing benchmarking using the benchmark package on SM; it
includes the old GreenBook benchmarks, slopstones and smopstone and
ought to give a good spread of data. If someone actually has a 3.2vm
that can run an image that can load the benchmark code we could find
out the answer. I'd be interested, quite aside from money.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BBL: Branch on Burned out Light