Porting Squeak?

vze26m98 vze26m98 at optonline.net
Mon Mar 29 18:06:34 UTC 2004

Thanks once again for all the help: Tim, John McIntosh and Lex!

To some specifics:

On 3/28/04 at 4:16 AM, squeak-dev-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org
wrote:

> The culture on our Wiki seems a little funny.  People look at
> the wiki, say "gee, that looks out of date", and then they post
> to the list about it.  Or just do nothing at all.  Guys, it is
> a wiki and *everyone* is welcome to edit it.

Sorry! As I get more familiar, I'm sure I'll be more aggressive about
contributing...

> Perhaps part of the issue is that we have such a vibrant
> mailing list?

I'd say! One of the most helpful by far!

> Ugh! I really doubt that macminimal stuf is up to date. Where
> did you even get it from? Doesn't exist in my platforms tree.

It's on Sourceforge. Browse /Mac OS/vm/developer. (John, thanks for your
detailed help on ioMsecs. I'll try to get back to compiling
sqMacMinimal.c later this week...)

> It works ok for me if I enter src2 etc. In fact I regularly use
> that to have different experimental sources in different
> places. It is quite possible that some paths on some platforms
> will cause trouble. I've said it before and I'll probably say
> it again; directory and file naming is horribly broken right
> now.

Th first time around I was trying to access the source (this is on OS9)
where CVS (OSX!) had put it in my User folder. After I understood what
was up, I just went for a location that I knew would work. Likely it's
far more robust than I indicated.

> then misses some. And yes, Ian's chapter in the nublu book (not
> the white book) is probably pretty out of date by now. But then
> so are many of the others, including mine.

I had a more lengthy look at this stuff and it does give a good overview
of the VM. A valuable text even if some of the details aren't fresh...

Once again,

Thanks all!

Tad