All squeak map servers down?

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Tue Mar 30 17:20:18 UTC 2004

Ned Konz  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>Looks like they're down.

They were. Long story, but somehow our UML hosts got infected by the
Linux.OSF.8759 virus (one of the hosts took part in our Apache shared
hosting cluster at one point, which is the Linux equivalent of having
unprotected sex...). Usually, it's a benign virus (unless you haven't
got your machines decently firewalled), but on these two machines the
effect was devastating because it got attached to the binaries in the
initrd image - a virus-infected chroot in your initrd does not exactly
help stability...

The end effect was that we've literally been hunting this thing down for
almost a week before we found out what was wrong. Everything has been cleaned now and our UML server farmlet is now purring and humming as usual..

(the list outage was related - as part of the error finding we
rebooted the UML NFS server/mailman host to various kernel/NFS combo's,
during the last reboot yesterday we forgot to check whether mailman was
running).

The moral of the story: never start your own ISP.

And now, back to our regular programming...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,